Sunday 18 October 2020

A Sick & Sad World

Can't get more unlucky than a Biohazardous THIRTEEN.
I was so glad to hear that people are finally seeing the world my way...
- "the world is sick, and people are dying from their ignorance of this unstoppable sickness" -
However, I was sadly mistaken...
For, it turns out, it wasn't the sickness that I'm seeing, of hope, joy and fearlessness. No no, it was a literal, viral sickness that infects the lungs, and kills the elderly.
Whilst, for my Halloween Countdown, I thrive on death and suffering, even I must admit that there's less fun to be had when these foolish mortals are dropping so easily. Where's the fun in that? Where's the challenge in that? It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Whilst that may sound appealing, take my word for it, after just a few shotgun blasts all you'll have is a putrid barrel of red water and fish guts.
See, now there is a real sickness in this world - but I'm not going to let that spoil my fun - NOT today, of all days. Because, after all, today... is my Birthday:
Happy Birthday to You,
But Beware what you do...
Or, this might be the Last Time,
That we sing this to You...
Oh yes. That little piece of poetry is usually just a macabre reminder of the remainder of our mortality, but this year it's more true than most. Because if you don't beware what you do, dying is a significant risk.
Not necessarily death - but definitely Dying. The COVID-19 coronavirus kills through the death and dysfunction of your lung cells, which means that even if you become infected and survive, you will first have to spend at least two - but up to six - weeks, struggling to breathe, all the while coughing; with fever and fatigue.
Your lungs begin to die, and as they are dying if your body cannot heal those cells quick enough - or you can't find a respirator or medical assistance to help your weakened lungs to breathe until you can regain your strength -  then the rest of you will die as a result of oxygen deprivation. You suffocate to death.

It is for this reason that I have no pity for the worthless fools that promote the ridiculous hoax that this coronavirus is fake, or that the necessary steps to protect us (i.e. self-isolation, hand-washing & face masks) are not necessary. It is pure ignorance... unfortunately for me, I already spent last year's Halloween Countdown talking about such horrifying miseducation, so I cannot dwell on it for another 13 days. But, rest assured, these people are ignorant, and could do well to learn from my post about Skepticism 101.

But this year, I'm focusing on sickness. And not so much mental sicknesses (as that was the theme of 2015's Halloween Countdown two years before that), but rather physical ailment, and in particular bacterial, genetic and/or virological - often microscopic - agents that enter our bodies and wreak havoc on our immune systems, biological systems and, in a disturbing number of cases, results in our disfigurement or death. Doesn't that sound fun?

- well, it does to me, and it's my birthday, so if you don't like it go blow your nose.
But, if you do like it, or are interested to see what I have to say, please stick around. In the middle of this plague, it's not like there's a whole lot to do outside, so why not sit at home and enjoy your Halloween Countdown with me. Who knows, maybe you'll catch something while you're here...

I'm the Absurd Word Nerd, until next time I hope you stay happy and healthy out there. There's enough dying going on out there in this sick, sad world; we don't want to have to add your corpse to the pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make suggestions, ask questions & comment . . .
I would love to read your words.