Monday 26 October 2020

One Word at a Time.

Dyslexia

Knot a purse on our tier under stands me,
  Bee cores I have all weighs bean the sway,
Beak awes it’s not allot descent stew me,
  Gnome adder what though spear pull say,

Icon tall weighs say, what need stew beat old,
  Eye contour way seer wot is said,
So with our ten knee body to hear me,
  Their are sum time sigh wish shy was dead,

But in a whirl dove such con few sing ways,
  It twist sand it old dements,
And all though eye ham dis leg sick,
  I’m aching theme most cents.






- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Huh, does that feel like enough? It doesn't really feel like enough to me. Okay, I should explain. This is a poem that I wrote over ten years ago (I was still in highschool that's how long ago it was, jeez), and that's why it's much more dramatic (I'm much less likely to dip into the "character is suicidal, therefore deep" angle, these days). But, I am fond of it. It has a simple conceit - being illegible when read literally, but makes sense when read phonetically - and doesn't outstay its welcome (in case you're wondering, yes, this was inspired by Ode to My Spell Checker). 
The main problem with it is it's not the story I wanted to share. See, I've been doing this Halloween Countdown for a few years, and every single time, I enjoy the hell out of it. I love writing contextual posts for a scary concept, I love doing the research and learning new things, I love sharing fiction. But, sometimes, the deadline is too much.

On several occasions, I've had plans for this which I've had to abandon, because I ran out of time, and today is one of those occasions. I was writing a two-part story in the same universe as "Operation: White Christmas" and "The Ambrosial Glass" - I call that series the Lockburn Files, and I love writing it because I like the horror in it, and it's fun exploring more of The Kitchen. I started working on a story idea that I've had for literally years, a story exploring more of The Dishwasher, the department that cleans up the mess that the Kitchen sometimes leaves behind. However, I have so many new characters in that, and it introduces a whole new department, and would require a tonne of research. So, I put that on the backburner, and decided to focus on another story - this one simply about a long-distance transfer of some freight which is so dangerous that nobody's security level is high enough to know what they're traveling with. Lots of fun, a basic story, and something that could easily be a two-parter (because of the long distance).
However... I haven't finished it yet. I have to post it today, and it's not finished. It turns out that this one took more research than I had anticipated, and much more planning than I had, well, planned for. So, instead, you get this poem, and tomorrow, instead of part two to the story you're not getting, I'll put up another poem I wrote a while ago, but which I still think is worth reading.
At least I wrote a few more posts in advance this year, but I should really work on these much sooner... I've been saying that for years, and this year I managed to do that with almost half of them, but now it's catching up with me again.

So, in a way, it's ironic that this is a poem about someone who struggles to communicate, to put their words together, because that's literally where I am at the moment - I have so much I want to do, but I ultimately can't, because I'm struggling to write everything I want to write before time is up. Now, don't worry, I won't just throw my story in the trash - I will see if I can salvage it for either a later post. I don't think I'll wait until next Halloween Countdown. I've been dreaming up what the theme should be for next year, and I don't think the story suits it very well...

Anyway, I'm the Absurd Word Nerd, and I'm sorry that I couldn't post as many stories as I had planned, but I'll do my best to post more in the future. Until Next Time, I'm going to finish off the last few posts and get ready for Halloween Itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make suggestions, ask questions & comment . . .
I would love to read your words.