Thursday 28 October 2021

Things that Somehow Exist

If you haven't heard of the "Mandela Effect" before, allow me to ruin your day. It all started when a single woman misremembered that Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 80s - even though he never did, and in reality, served as the African President 14 years later. Side-stepping the fact that an American, white woman isn't well-versed in African history (what a shock!) what followed is that rather than accept the fact that this is a false memory, something which happens all the time, because human minds are a confusing and complicated mess, which is prone to making mistakes sometimes - she assumed that rather than HER being wrong, REALITY was wrong, and she must have existed in a parallel universe where her memories are *totally correct, you guys!*
And now, there are groups of people who believe, without evidence, understanding or proof, that when they remember something that isn't true, or discover evidence that someone else makes a similar mistake about the past, it is ALSO evidence that they are just as super/special/awesome, and must also be dimensional sliders or mandelites or chosen ones in the matrix or whatever other nonsense they choose to believe to explain simple spelling errors.
And yes, the effect is named for Mandela, but most of these "false memories" don't involve influential historical figures so much as misremembering how to spell the names of popular cereals and children's book characters, or conflating two characters or events from pop culture.

It's a wholly uninteresting phenomenon. False memories happen all the time, for the simple fact that to save time and effort, your brain takes shortcuts to remember things, remembering them only partially or vaguely, and often doesn't bother to remember things that don't hold any significance to you.
So, why am I even talking about it? Well, that sense of feeling like reality is playing a trick on you, I can definitely understand that. I'm not foolish enough to believe that my false memories are true... but what about the opposite?

In my opinion, there's a much more interesting phenomenon, known as jamais vu. It's a french term which literally means "never seen", and the phenomenon is that exact feeling, it's remembering something, but feeling like it is unique and new, even though you have some vague experience of it. That's why I think of it as the opposite of the mandela affect - rather than believing a memory that's false, it's disbelieving a memory that is true. Of course, I don't believe this is proof that I'm actually from a superior reality, but it is still a strange phenomenon, depending on the kind of things you remember...
The reason it fits with this theme of "dreams" is because, to me, it feels a lot like remembering a dream. Like, say you have some vague memory of walking down a pier at night, but you've never lived near the coast you've only ever been to the beach during the day, so what was that memory? Is it real, or just something you remember from a dream? I'm sure this is rather common, as this is somewhat related to the pop culture phenomenon of "Lost Media". You may have heard of some common ones, like Clock Man. But, the things I'm talking about aren't so much lost, as merely half-forgotten - so today I want to present to you my list of five things that I didn't think were real... but which actually exist.

THE AWN's TOP 10 THINGS THAT (SOMEHOW) EXIST

10. The Land of Pleasant Dreams
Look, this was just a kid's show. I get that, it was a kid's show, and some kids shows are weird. But, the reason why this is on the list is because I totally forgot about it, until a few years ago, when I was working on my "Childhood Trauma" video, for Halloween Countdown 2019 (here's a link to Part 2 as well) I won't spoil some of the other media on that list, but I remembered this show, because it was also one of the shows that my parents owned on VHS which I watched a few times, and it was a little creepy because of the puppets, but unlike the other items I included on that list, it wasn't actually all that scary. I mean, I thought the grandma character that introduced the stories was a little creepy, although not enough to make the list.
But, that's to be expected, puppetry is always a little creepy. But, this show was incredibly weird. See, the gimmick is that this is a series of adventures about children who go to sleep and in their dreams they encounter interesting adventures in a weird world made of blankets and stuffed toys. The idea was that the show taught some simple morals, and sometimes included songs and stuff.
After doing some research, I actually found a few episodes on YouTube - and even saw some of the ones that were on our old VHS tape! "The Dog that was Too Fast" & "A Fence Too High" - there was also one about a horse that I wasn't able to find... I think it was walking backwards or something? I don't know.
Y'know, this is why this one is so low on the list - it's a weird kid's show and it's about dreaming, so it's inherently surreal - of course this one feels kind of dream-like. Even the music is often soft, using buzzy synth, I even wonder if this show was designed to help kids fall asleep. I mean, based on the musical sections where the character's sing, and the fact that the moral is at the very end of the episode, means that that's probably not the case, but the cliched songs and dreamy quality made me forget this one.

9. The One
Admittedly, this isn't as old as some of the other items on this list, as it's from 2008, but it's still something which I forgot existed, until I was working on this list. But, this was a television show, which was advertised as a world-changing phenomenon. Now, I never watched the show, I want to make that clear, I never actually saw any of the episodes. But... I saw the advertising that first introduced it, the more I think about it, the less sense it makes. Let's start with the title. Firstly whilst the show was advertised as The One, the full title was "The One: The Search for Australia's Most Gifted Psychic"...
I think that might explain every problem I have with this. I mean, sure, the idea was simple - this was a competitive reality show, wherein several self-professed psychics took part in a variety of contests and challenges to see which one was the most psychic. Now, to me, this is a pretty funny concept, because the reality is that nobody is psychic, so we're basically watching a collection of con artists or self-delusional idiots trying their hardest to keep their game face on, when being called out on their bullshit.
But see, I'm not here to debunk the show, because others have already done so very effectively. Rather, I remembered this show, but it just doesn't seem real... it doesn't seem like something that actually happened. See, let me explain... what makes this show seem weird and unreal to me is that it wasn't about calling them on their bullshit at all, it wasn't testing the veracity of psychic abilities - the show assumes that psychic powers exist, and even claims that the seven psychics chosen were "the top psychics in Australia". The goal of the show was to find out which of the contestants was the best. From all the advertising I saw, the tests weren't attempting to debunk, or even challenge these psychics - they were designed to let psychics perform a series of commonplace psychic tricks. From what I can tell on the Wikipedia page, this included dowsing; mediumship; mind-reading; psychometry; remote-viewing and the kind of thing which psychics have been claiming to do for years, and almost every episode included cold-reading of an audience, which is a well-understood parlour trick. Obviously, some of the people involved in this show must have known that psychic powers are a scam, since it was edited and marketed to promote the successes of the psychics, and downplay their failures, but I don't understand how you can go through the process of hiring a host, a set designer, a casting director - doing the casting call, and "testing" hundreds of applicants, how can all of that happen, and at no point in the whole process did someone come up and say "hey, uh... does nobody realize that this all bullshit? What the fuck are we doing?" - it boggles my mind, but trust me... this happened. not only that, apparently it had a second season three years later, in 2011, but it wasn't promoted anywhere near as hard (I guess because we'd already tested the "top 7" psychics, so obviously these psychics must have been sub-par). So, if I had a dollar for every time Channel 7 Australia hosted a reality show to try to find the best psychic in the country... well, I'd only have two dollars, but it is weird that it happened twice, right?

8. The Top's Dragon Coaster
This one is, admittedly, a little bit personal, since I used to live in Queensland, in and around the Brisbane CBD. When I was older, and lived on Queen Street, I would occasionally go shopping and check out the city, and I would often go to the Myer Centre, as it was one of the biggest places - four levels of retail, it was a lot of fun to shop there. But, one time a few year s ago when I was visiting the cinema, I had a weird recollection. See, the cinema is on the top floor, and I was looking over the edge of the balcony, I remember that the place looked familiar... specifically, there was a design on the roof that I remembered seeing "up close", but that's ridiculous, after all, that was far past the balcony of the fourth-floor, overlooking a drop to the food court down the bottom... to see that up close, I'd have to be flying. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that yeah, I had seen it up close - because I remembered riding a rollercoaster inside the building.
It sounded silly, but the more I thought about it, the more I remembered that when I was younger I had once ridden on a dragon rollercoaster inside the building - and I even remember that as a kid, I called it the remote-control dragon. I assume I must have asked my father how they drove it, since it doesn't have a driver, and I guess he said it was "remote controlled", so I just called it the remote-control dragon (Either that or I was a dumb kid, and I assumed that everything electronic was remote-controlled). But it wasn't called the Remote Controlled Dragon, I don't know if it had a name, but most people called it the Dragon Coaster. Apparently, there was a whole amusement park called "Top's", with carousels, little rides and an arcade - but I only remembered the roller coaster. The crazy part about this is, I've seen it after the fact - a few years after this moment that revived my memory, I saw the train sitting on the grass at some local markets. The rails were dismantled, but the dragon train had been converted into a "ride-on train", as they'd put some wheels on it, but it was the same dragon, because it was the same colour (if a bit faded, from sunlight), and still had that distinct "double-tail", but it was in one complete piece. I assume they would take kids for little rides around the empty car park near the markets, but I don't know if it's still around.
It's stuff like this which will always make childhood seem more whimsical to me. Book fairs with colourful puppets; getting a CD that took you to a website for kids & rollercoasters inside shopping centres...

7. 2003, "the Year of Australian Sketch Comedy"
I mean, the title kind of says it all, but what is weird is that this kind of exploded into (Australian) pop culture, and then disappeared. See, in Australia, there are basically 3 big television channels, 7, 9 & 10 (Don't ask me what happened to Channel 8, because I have no idea). There's also ABC, often on Channel 2, which I believe is partially subsidized by the government but beyond those major channels and some public access channels (like Briz31, that's one I know), these were the major telly channels. And for some reason, in 2003, every single television channel decided that sketch comedy was the must-have program on the broadcasting schedule... and in 2004, every single television channel decided that it wasn't anymore. Let me show you.
First, there was Channel 10, which on February 9, 2003, aired Skithouse. This was actually my favourite, since I found it to be more consistently finny. It had some comedians and television personalities which have gone on to greater things, like Peter Helliar, Corinne Grant, Tom Gleeson, Cal Wilson & the musical comedy trio Tripod. This show really enjoyed creating recurring gags and characters - I remember The Australian Fast Bowler, a superhero who solves many problems by being really good at bowling a cricket ball.
Next, there was Channel 9, which on February 19, 2003, aired Comedy Inc. hot on the heels of its competition. Whilst some of these names weren't as successful as their channel 10 counterparts, I enjoyed the hell out of Mandy McElhinney & Fiona Harris, both talented and funny, and I adore Jim Russell, not only because he was funny, but he later appeared in the show "Glitch", and he only had one scene, but he was captivating as that tragic character. Apparently what set this show apart is that it often parodied other popular shows of the time, which could be a bit hit or miss, they did original sketches too, but the parody sketches were the main gag.
Lastly, there was Channel 7 which took a whole four months before Big Bite aired in May 2003, and it was the least successful of the four. Despite this, it has a cult following, since it was the start of a lot of prominent talent like Chris Lilley, Andrew O'Keefe & Kate McCartney, who would later go on to join the Kate McKlennan to create both "The Katering Show" & "Get Krackin", each of which are fantastically funny shows.
But then, in 2004, it all ended. It started with Big Bite, as it was cancelled after just one season with just 15 episodes, concluding March 4, 2004. Skithouse was next, ending on July 28, 2004, after two seasons, with 19 episodes in total. But the last one on the rung was Comedy Inc., and this one technically lasted until 2007, with five seasons and 96 total episodes... however, in 2005, for Season 3, in an attempt to boost ratings, they changed to a later time-slot, and changing the name to "Comedy Inc.: The Late Shift". Whilst the show continued, the time-slot didn't help ratings, and it apparently changed timeslot a few times for the last three seasons, so it fell out of the zeitgeist. Meaning that the original show - the first two seasons before the time and name change - was merely two seasons long, and lasted for 30 episodes, ending in September 2004.
So, it came into our lives, and then vanished (unless you stayed up late watching Channel 7). And, it just leaves me wondering... why? Sure, I think the Big Bite was created just to cash in on the success of Comedy Inc. & Skithouse; but why were those made, at the same time? And why did they all lose popularity just as fast, after a year? It was all so fast, it feels like it happened in a dream, which is why it's on this list...

6. David Tench Tonight
Honestly, I wasn't planning on most of these being television shows, but you're more likely to understand what I'm talking about if it's something that aired on television. And, these are some of the ones that I remember the most. And when I was trying to remember things which felt unreal... well, there's nothing quite like David Tench Tonight.
See, kind of like The One, David Tench Tonight was a show from 2006 that was promoted as a television phenomenon, it was meant to be absolutely huge. They didn't even advertize exactly what it was - rather, Channel 10 did this pseudo-viral marketing campaign with just quotes about the guy, all advertised with the tagline "finally, someone real on television". I was drawn in, I wanted to see what it was all about, so I tuned into the first episode.
So, who is David Tench? Well... nobody. David Tench doesn't exist. What David Tench Tonight is is a computer-generated character, that hosts a talk show with real people using motion-capture so they're able to interact in real time with the real guest... that's it. Seriously. I remember I was watching in anticipation, but as soon as I saw what it was, I was like... "Oh, that's it?", and after the first segment, I changed the channel and never watched it again.
But, Channel 10 was all over this. in fact, the reason he was called David Tench, is because he was created by Channel Ten. David Tench was their creation, through and through, but why? David Tench was actually kind of creepy-looking. He was a computer-generated cartoon and they gave him an oversized head; but, they also gave him somewhat realistic hair and eyebrows, and an inhumanly wide mouth, so he was veering right down into the uncanny valley. The truly sad part is that David Tench was played by a real actor, named Drew Forsythe, who provided the voice and did the motion capture. He was uncredited in the show, and that's the one aspect of the show that kind of makes sense... because he wasn't real (and they never said who was responsible for the crap coming out of his mouth), they often used him to get away with making horrible jokes - in the same way that ventriloquists make their dummies say horrible things, because it's easier to handle bad jokes when they're coming from a puppet, since they're one-degree removed from reality.
But, at the same time, the problem with having your host be a fake person is that they have no inherent personality; but talk shows live and die off of the screen presence, relatability and integrity of their host... and, well, "live and die off" David Tench certainly did, because after one season of sixteen episodes, the show was cancelled. This was a bad idea, I'm afraid, and it was doomed to die, but that promotional campaign that lured people in without telling them what they were in for, is what dug the grave.

5. Truck Nuts
Does anyone else remember these? I only saw these a few times as a kid, and the first time I saw it, it made me laugh. but, the more I think about it, the less sense it makes. In case you're unaware, truck nuts were a vehicle accessory, which you attached either at the base of your vehicle's towbar, or just under the rear bumper. This novelty accessory looked like a fleshy scrotum, with two testicles, supposedly this would make it look like the testicles belonged to the car; or, in most cases, truck, as the height of a truck's chassis left enough room for the truck nuts to dangle without touching the road, and because, honestly, the same kind of toxic masculinity that leads to people purchasing unnecessary utility vehicles would also lead to them feeling like it's a good idea to display a pair of large, fake testicles.
Now, I looked this up, and I saw that there were several articles talking about the court case involving truck nuts. Several people and companies were fined or taken to court, on obscenity charges and there was a whole lot of drama about free speech laws. I think that's going a bit far - whilst I wish we could make idiocy a crime, we really shouldn't, and whilst I call this idiotic, I don't think it's obscene - I don't think any genitalia is inherently obscene. I still prefer if people stay clothed, so I can concentrate, but I don't think it's obscene to see nakedness, even if it is a fake pair of oversized testicles.
But, my real question is... who comes up with this shit? And even that question isn't an easy one to answer, as apparently several people have tried to claim that they are the inventor of truck nuts, so I can't really say who created these things, but even worse, I don't know what kind of weirdo would decide that these are such a good idea that they would purchase these, when they saw them on offer. I would understand if this was a gag gift, but no, these were purchased by car owners to put on their own vehicles. They saw it in the store, found out what it was for, laughed at it, took it to the counter, purchased it, took it home, took it out of the packaging, found out how to secure it to the back of their car, then did so, according to the instructions... and the whole time, they still thought this was funny. But, I mean, it's not that funny. I thought it was funny the first time I saw it, because I was a child and at first glance, it does look like the car has testicles. But even as a child, the next time I saw it (on a different vehicle, mind you), I was like "oh, they did that silly thing too... okay". But, maybe that's why they disappeared... maybe their moment is gone, and everyone realized that it's not a good idea to have testicles on your car. I mean, sure, they're probably around somewhere - maybe there's a small town where everyone has them. Or, more terrifying, maybe there's a warehouse full of unsold stock, waiting for someone to unearth a pallette full of deteriorating, plastic car scrotums. Honestly, this is something I wish I dreamed or made up... but no, truck nuts, too, are real.

4. Avenger Penguins
Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles was a huge phenomenon in the 90s. The show was massively popular, it had crazy merchandising, especially with toys and games, there was even a live-action movie, despite how difficult the puppetry was at the time (and they did a great job, all told). But, with the popularity of TMNT, there inevitably came the pretenders to the throne. I haven't watched all of these recently, but there were hundreds of shows that tried to rip-off the premise. I distinctly remember Street Sharks, Biker Mice from Mars, Battletoads & Mighty Ducks (the animated series). There were even even a few ripoffs using Australian Animals, such as Naive Inter-Dimensional Commando Koalas; Teenage Mutant Samurai Wombats; & Pre-Teen Dirty-Gene Kung-Fu Kangaroos... I promise you, I am not making any of these up, they were ripoffs of the comicbook, not the television show, but they actually existed.
But I'm not talking about comicbook ripoffs, because I never read any of these - rather, I want to talk about another television show. Because, even as a kid I could see through Biker Mice from Mars as a clear rip-off of the TMNT "heroic group of humanoid animals" thing, but most people seem to know about Biker Mice and Battletoads and Street Sharks -  I've heard other people talk about them before. But there's a show, clearly designed to rip off Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles, which nobody seems to talk about, but I watched a bit as a kid. It was called Avenger Penguins. This show was about motorcycle-riding penguins, who lived in a giant iceberg or something, and would fight against an evil guy called Mister Doom... using motorcycles. Maybe this was more of a rip-off of Biker Mice than the Ninja Turtles? I don't remember much about this show, except that it had penguins riding motorcycles... but, I don't understand why.
I found some of the show on YouTube, and I watched a few episodes for this blog post, and honestly, watching this show again just begs further questions! For one thing, not everyone in the show is a penguin - even the evil villain just just an ugly guy with grey skin, so I don't understand why the main characters are penguins. Also, if you watch these episodes for yourself, you'll see that this had some pretty fluid animation, and it was clearly scripted with jokes, and a simple but effective plot, so I think this had a relatively good budget for an animated show. So, although this is a TMNT cash-in, they didn't phone it in, they put real work into this show. Maybe I'll have to look into this more later, but for now, this still feels like something that couldn't have happened, even though I have proof now that it did...

3. "The Jackass Phenomenon"
I'm sure you've heard of Jackass, and to me, the show itself isn't really so weird that it's unbelievable... no, what is unbelievable to me is that this wasn't just one show, or one movie... This was five television shows, and seven spin-off shows - including a reality game show; five movies, three spin-off movies, a documentary & a videogame! And the popularity of the show influenced a lot of shows to follow, like Adrenaline Crew; Dirty Sanchez; The Dudesons; Nitro Circus; Rad Girls; the Tokyo Shock Boys & Too Stupid to Die, as well as countless YouTube "prank" channels.
And you know, despite all of this... I still don't "get" it.
I never watched the television show, I just saw the first movie, and I laughed at some of the stunts, but not all or even most of them. I mean, it's all there in the title - it's a bunch of guys acting like jackasses, but why? What is the point? Okay, let me explain where I'm coming from...
See, what truly broke my brain was the videogame Jackass: The Game. See, I do not understand the point of this show, but, in a videogame, you have to have a goal, and in some cases, a points system so you can quantify how well you're doing. So, what is the goal in the Jackass videogame? The goal is "to film a series of Jackass"... Really? Okay, that leaves me just as confused as before... but, what about the point system, though? How do I tell if I'm "filming jackass" correctly?
Well, you have to hurt yourself. In some minigames, you have to compete with one another, or do some comedy routine, but in most of the minigames, the more hurt you get, the more points you get... in some, they even display each injury you get, and you get more points depending on the severity.
Is that the entire point of Jackass? Getting the most hurt? But... no, that doesn't make sense. I don't believe that everyone who watches the show is some kind of sadomasochist, surely thousands of people don't enjoy seeing people get hurt or humiliated - I mean, this isn't meant to be BDSM, it's not pornographic it's comedic. At least, I think it's not pornographic... there's a lot of weird butt stuff, like the "Ass Rockets", and "The Butt X-ray", and then there's "Party Boy", which is just a prank where a guy strips off and dances... has anyone ever written a Jackass/Fifty Shades of Grey crossover fanfic?
But no, no, no, this is meant to be a comedy, Wikipedia even calls it "slapstick". But, slapstick is about exaggerating violence, stagefighting, prat falls and other exaggerated actions. Jackass doesn't exaggerate its violence, it just shows the results of their actions. In one scene, a boxer beats the shit out of Johnny Knoxville, and he has to get stitches. That's not funny.
I mean, for goodness sake, this was multi-million dollar franchise - I am not kidding, the first movie had a five-million dollar budget alone, and earned almost eighty million dollars. Then, it all died down, possibly because some of the actors involved died, and others went to rehab... but, why did it get so big in the first place? Did everyone in the world just lose their minds for a few years? What the hell happened? I still don't know, and that's why this is number 3 on this list.

2. Wicked Willie
When I was much younger, I'm talking single digits (and I'm 30 now, so that's over twenty years ago), my parents would take my family and me to the local library. I think this was over the school holidays or something, because every week for a few months, we went to the library and borrowed books from the library using our library cards. Occasionally I would borrow books, but I was fascinated by the videos. There was a nature video that I saw about bears... I can't remember anything about it, except that it had a bear at one point (this was a long time ago, okay?). But, there was another video I asked to borrow, because I didn't understand it at all, and I was curious as to what it would be about.
See, it was a video for a movie called "Wicked Willie - the Movie", and it was about a personified, talking penis. The conceit of the film was that it had a series of sketches, intercut with Willie doing a stand-up routine. Now, before you get any ideas, I was like 10... I wasn't trying to ogle naked people in a weird sex comedy - and second, this was a cartoon, in a simplified "Jim Davis", British newspaper comic style, so it wasn't detailed enough to be in any way erotic. Also, I didn't understand all of the jokes - I don't remember laughing once when I watched this as a kid, I was just confused.
I don't even know why my parents hired it out - even though they had to hire it out on their card, since it was R-rated (don't worry, whilst there was maybe a boob here or there, it was mostly R for "sexual references", and when the main character is a talking cock, that's kind of a given - it wasn't porn, by any metric). I assume that my parents also thought it was pretty tame, and/or, because I was that age, they thought maybe I was curious about my body... Eh...? I don't know, I didn't bother to ask them for this blog post. I guess, if I took my kid to the library, and he wanted to watch a weird movie about a talking penis, I would't prevent him from seeing it either, but it is a weird situation...
However, as weird as it is that as a kid I watched a movie about a talking penis, what truly puts this on the list, especially in the number 2 spot, is that when I remembered this thing and I looked it up to make sure it was real... it turns out that this was kind of a big deal back in the day. See, the reason this movie exists is because this originally started as a comicbook, then it had this movie, and it even had a cartoon series (banned from television for obscenity, but apparently it had over a dozen episodes), a sequel movie, and even a board game & a non-fiction book all about the phenomenon!
Unfortunately, I don't remember a single joke, except that when Willie was doing stand-up, he wore a bow-tie, and that's kind of a funny image. But, this thing - this silly cartoon from the 1980s, was so popular that it got international distribution? Yeah, did I mention that this was British? it was from the U.K., but it was popular enough to find an audience in Australia. Or, at the very least, one of its videos appeared on the rack in the library in my suburb... I don't know what to say except - yeah, this is real.

1. MOT
This may not seem that weird to you, and hey, the last two things were international phenomena, so what's this little thing? Well, the reason this is number 1 is because for the longest time, I didn't think this was real. See, for years, this was my personal Lost Media journey... for the longest time, I was trying to find out if this was real, because I wasn't sure, but the images were so distinct in my mind.
See, I had three things which I remembered very clearly:

  • First of all, there was a purple dragon that could either grant wishes, or use magic - that was the main conceit of this show, a guy who had a magic, purple dragon that could grant wishes.
  • Secondly, I remembered a scene where the world turned into a cube.
  • Thirdly, I remembered a scene where everyone's house was hovering about a foot off the ground, but flying along at speed, and the main character had to jump from one house to another.

That's it, those are the three things I remembered - and they were connected somehow, but I didn't know how (presumably all were caused by the purple dragon's magic), but I didn't know what the show was called, what else it was about, or if maybe I had made all of this up in a dream.
But... shock of all shocks, I FOUND IT. See, I'm not crazy!
This is a show called "Mot" (I guess that's why I never remembered it - that name is ridiculous). Mot is the name of a purple monster that lives with his human friend, called Leo. The reason why Mot was called Mot is because his species is "Monstrous Organicus Telluricus" or M.O.T. for short. This species has the innate ability to open interdimensional doors. Look, okay, he's not actually a dragon, he's a monster, but he does have a dragon-like tail!  Also, he doesn't grant wishes... I think that might have happened in one of the episodes, but I'm not sure. Or maybe I'm mis-remembering a time when Leo asked him for something, and he did it for him with one of his dimension doors? Ehh...?
This was popular in the mid-to-late-90s, so that's probably why I don't remember it very well, I was pretty young at the time. It looks like a weird show, but honestly? I wish I could see it again. It looks weird, but kind of cool. Dimension-hopping monsters? Sign me up!
The problem is that the original show is French, so I don't even know if it's available on DVD - I don't even know who was responsible for the dub that I watched on television so long ago.
Whilst this media is no longer forgotten... it's still lost, to me. I'm not at the end of my Lost Media Journey, just yet. But, still, this was a really unusual show with some surreal elements, so it's no wonder that it felt more like a dream than a memory. Hell, the only reason why I thought it was real was because it's a cartoon, and I don't tend to dream in 2D animation... so who's to say how many of my other memories are actually just boring dreams?

- - -

Alright, well, that's my list, but do you have one? What are some other culture, media or phenomena which you remember, but are so unusual that it just doesn't feel real?
I admit that this is a bit of a strange concept, but I think it's fascinating. After all, they say that Truth is Stranger than Fiction, and so I find this so much more fascinating than the Mandela Effect nonsense that inspired this post, and I'm curious how many of you remember these things I'm talking about - did you find them as surreal as I did? And of course, if anyone knows where I can watch, or purchase some of these old shows (especially Mot), please get in touch.

I'm the Absurd Word Nerd, and Until Next Time, take comfort in the fact that, in the very least, I know that you exist... I mean, I think you do. You exist, right? Guys? Is somebody out there? ...hello?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make suggestions, ask questions & comment . . .
I would love to read your words.