Thursday 21 October 2021

Dream Interpretation, and Other Nonsense

We've already covered some of the science of dreams and nightmares. Well today, I want to cover the opposite. We've already had a look at the cutting edge of dream theory, so now let's look back down at the worn, rusted tang back in the hilt - too blunt and dull to do any real harm, but still a necessary foundation so we could get a grip on the subject in the first place. Today, we look back on the pseudoscience, the myth and the nonsensical. Because long before we had sleep studies, psychology and facts, we had superstitions, astrology and fiction.

The most prominent fiction that I've seen, in the various researches I've done for this blog, is the nocturnal spirit, or what I like to call the Nightmare Rider. It's not as interesting as it sounds, it's a creature, spirit or monster which mounts your protrate form, often by sitting on your chest, and traps you in place, oftentimes suffocating you and giving you nightmares through some kind of thought-invasion. These take many forms - I've briefly mentioned the witch (or night-hag), a female creature that sits on you as you sleep; there's also the pesanto of Catalan mythology, a large iron-clawed dog that sits on you; there's the alp of Roman myth that sits on your chest; also, the mare, of UK myth, which sits on your chest, or steals your horses & there's even somewhat modern myths that cats cause crib death, by sitting on the chests of sleeping babies and sucking out their breath.
Heck, although it's somewhat tenuous a connection, there's even fan death - an oriental urban legend that if you leave your fan on while you sleep, you'll be suffocated due to the fan somehow either deoxygenating, or removing the breathable air in the room.

I mean, having danger invade your bedroom is a pretty common belief. As someone who's had sleep paralysis at least once in his life (that I recall), the feeling of being unable to move is an odd one, since you feel like you're in control of your body yet you aren't, your muscles don't co-operate. So, I can understand the assumption that something is "holding you down" even if you can't see it. But, more generally, the fear that something might come and get you while you're sleeping may be generational trauma from having been preyed upon by nocturnal predators for millenia; or even just a pragmatic concern of helplessness during unconsciousness, which has been exacerbated by stress and anxiety into an unreasonable fear of night monsters. Sleep has some scary aspects to it, especially for little children - lying in the dark, losing control of your body and being exposed to surreal and oftentimes confusing and frightening images - and childhood fears don't simply fade away.
So, I understand why people once assumed there's monsters that ride your sleeping form, and give you nightmares. But, there's a reason why these beliefs are less prevalent in the modern era.

There's also a belief which I've come across lately Astral Projection, from what research I've done, there are many ways to achieve astral projection, but one of them is by laying in bed, and relaxing, then allowing your soul can leave your body and explore the astral realm.
Now, I'm not an expert in the paranormal, or the powers of the human mind, let alone the connectivity of the immaterial spirit - DREAMING! This is clearly describing dreaming, my goodness, what is wrong with you people?! I am sure that people sometimes dream that they are floating above their own bodies, and that's fun and all, but a dream is a dream. I don't even need to get into the fact that souls do not exist, because there's a perfectly logical explanation for why people are able to experience these things, and it's that they fell asleep and had a dream.

Now, I've had some people try to argue that it's not the "same" as dreaming, because it involves strange sensations before the "astral projection" occurs, but it sounds to me like these people are describing hypnagogia. Hypnagogia is a phenomenon during the onset of sleep (when you're about to fall asleep) which causes hallucinations and visual distortion due to the semi-conscious brain. It's related to hypnapompia, a similar phenomenon during the offset of sleep (when you're waking up).
I should also clarify that I said there's other ways to astral project, but they all tend to involve either hallucinogenic drugs, or deep-brain stimulation (i.e. stimulating the brain with a surgically-implanted neurostimulator), which means that when it's not a dream, it's just a stimulant-induced hallucination.

But now, the main event. The main reason I wrote this post was because I wanted the opportunity to talk about Dream Interpretation. Now, I am not of the opinion that dreams are prophetic or communicative or even necessarily memorial. So, it might seem like I am here to completely shut-down the notion of dream interpretation as a waste of time. However, I don't think such a thing is necessary...
See, I think dreams may have meaning - we discussed this in some of the "science of dreams" blog post, they could be exploring memories or emotions that you need more mental time and effort with.
So, my issue with dream interpretation isn't exactly the same as with reading tea-leaves or cloud-watching - that you're using chaotic images, and trying to find some kind of order in it. Rather, my issue is when these "dream scholars" claim that the iconography in dreams is so fundamental and understandable, that they can tell you what a certain image, object, colour or even theme within a dream can mean, despite the variety and breadth of context that is "the human experience". The most egregious example of this is the Dream Diary. This is a list of possible dream elements, animals, objects and ideas, and an explanation for what they mean. But the more I read these, the more I start to see through what they're actually doing here. Now, I don't believe in prophecy, so any and all definitions about what you should do in your near or distant future, they already rub me the wrong way. But, even if you totally ignore all the crap about destiny, they still clearly use the same trick to come up with their interpretations. Let me give you a few examples, to show you what I mean (note: some of these have been abbreviated, see the original website for the full entry)...

Awaken - To awaken in your dream represents a spiritual rebirth. You may be acknowledging and embracing both your feminine and masculine aspects of Self. You are utilizing your fullest potential. Consider also who or what awakened you. This is an indication of what is lacking or missing in your life.
— Dream Diary, www.DreamMoods.com

Candy - To see or eat candy in your dream symbolizes the joys and the special treats in life. It also represents indulgence, sensuality and/or forbidden pleasure. You may be devoting too much time to unimportant issues. A more direct interpretation suggests that you are eating too much candy and sweets.
— Dream Diary, www.DreamMoods.com

Freedom - To dream about freedom suggests that you are feeling restricted and want to break away from a current situation. Or it is time for you to move out of your comfort zone. Alternatively, the dream may serve as a reminder for you to not take your personal liberties and independence for granted.
— Dream Diary, www.DreamMoods.com

Inside - To dream that you are inside suggests that you need to take time for some self introspection. The dream may be a metaphor that you need to look within yourself. It is what is in the inside that matters. Alternatively, dreaming that you are inside indicates that there are some family or domestic issues that you need to deal with.
— Dream Diary, www.DreamMoods.com

Outside - To dream that you are outside represents freedom, openness and opportunities. You are able to spread out and enjoy.  Alternatively, the dream signifies your need to be more expressive. It is telling you that you need to stop closing yourself off.
— Dream Diary, www.DreamMoods.com

Sleeping - To dream that you are sleeping denotes peace of mind. Alternatively, it means that you are ignorant of the conditions and circumstances around you. Sleeping may also be synonymous with death in that it beckons renewal and new beginnings.
— Dream Diary, www.DreamMoods.com

Telephone - To see or hear a telephone in your dream signifies a message from your subconscious or some sort of telepathic communication. You may be forced to confront issues which you have been avoiding. Alternatively, the telephone represents your communication and relationship with others.
— Dream Diary, www.DreamMoods.com

Trapped - To dream that you are trapped or caught in a trap suggests that you are feeling confined and restricted in your job, career, health, or a personal relationship. You may be in a rut and are tired of the same daily monotony.
— Dream Diary, www.DreamMoods.com


So, Awakening in a dream, represents spiritual rebirth, or spiritual awakening; or it symbolizes something missing in your life, that you need to wake up to. Eating Candy symbolizes joy and special treats in life... or it could just indicate that you eat too much candy. Feeling Freedom expresses a desire to be free; but ironically, feeling Trapped also expresses a desire to be free, so we always want to be free I guess? Being inside means you should look inside yourself; being outside means you need to get out, and let your feelings out. Sleeping indicates that you're at peace, or at rest, or that you're ignorant of something you need to wake up to. Telephones signify communication, what a shocker... are you noticing a pattern here? These are all PUNS. "Spiritual Awakening"; "Special Treat"; "Look Inside"; "Let it Out" - these are all just puns on the word, or cliches regarding these ideas. And most of these are like that! Abalone is said to possibly represent feeling lonely... because abalone rhymes with lonely. Dreaming about an anus might mean you, or someone you know is being anal retentive...
It's ridiculous. And when it's not being a pun, it's going on about masculine/feminine energies, or spiritual woo-woo or destiny or one of the many other buzz-words that these mystical, nonsensical pseudo-sciences like to throw at you.

But okay, maybe I'm being too hasty. Maybe it's just a coincidence that all of these interpretations are based on puns, cliches and woo. Maybe there's some truth in it... So, let's put it to the test.
I'm using www.DreamMoods.com because it's free, and it has a huge list of words in its dream dictionary (Author's Note: bigger than www.DreamDictionary.com, which is honestly disappointing - they got that name for their URL, and can't compete with this one? Lame). So, I'm going to test out this on a dream I had when I was a kid. Why not one I've had recently? Well, I don't tend to remember entire dreams these days. But this is one I remember vividly, because I thought it was weird, and kind of funny. I know this sounds weird, but it's a dream, so it's going to sound surreal... but, this is a real dream I had when I was about 12.

Basically, I was inside this big warehouse-like place, but it was filled with round, red-and-white striped platforms of various heights, with circular tops, and I was jumping from platform to platform, with Batman. We were having lots of fun, jumping. Then, about half-way through the dream, a lightning bolt zapped Batman up his bum, and then he turned evil and started chasing me, so I had to hop from platform to platform to escape evil batman. After a while, I saw a window, and I jumped out. Batman was gone, but I was jumping down a path in the woods, and I could hear howling wolves, then I woke up not long after.
Okay, what could this dream possibly mean? Well, based on the research I did with DreamMoods.com...
I couldn't find "big, empty room" or "platforms". I considered "circus", because of the red and white, but that didn't seem right, so I stuck with being inside which represents a need for introspection; whereas jumping indicates a need to take a risk (leap of faith, anyone?) and Batman suggests I need to use my wits, to maximize my potential. Next, lightning can mean enlightenment, or a shocking turn of events... there's not really anything for getting stabbed or zapped in the butt (the "anus" and "buttocks" entries only talk about my butt, not Batman's or anyone else's butts), but electrocution indicates possible disaster and fear of consequences. Then, being chased... chase dreams are common, but I was being chased by a bad guy, and that signifies insecurity, but jumping through a window in this circumstance represents being opportunistic. Feeling lost in the woods indicates the start of a new phase in life, and howling indicates lonelines or solitude.
So, let's put that all together... according to DreamMoods.com, I need to self-reflect and take a risk to maximize my potential; and there's a shocking turn of events that might be disastrous (or I'm worried it will be). So, I'm avoiding the situation, because I'm insecure... but I'll take the opportunity at the start of this new phase in my life, but I'll feel lonely at the same time.
Wait, so, is there a shocking turn of events, or a new phase in my life? Am I avoiding the situation, or am I seizing the opportunity? Will I maximize my potential, or will I be lonely? This sounds like a confusing mix of metaphors, which doesn't make a lot of sense. But the reason why is because someone else is taking a whole lot of themes, puns and concepts, and slamming them together, to try to make sense of it! Now, I don't think that dreams "necessarily" mean anything, but that doesn't mean you can't use them to explore your own feelings... but that's the key word, feelings. This nonsense about "you have an opportunity" or "you must take a risk"? Total bullshit. Here, let me tell you what I think this dream "could" mean (assuming it means anything).

I like Batman, because he's a superhero, he's in control - I trust him. But, a random event turned him evil, something I couldn't predict or control, and I could no longer trust him. So, he was no longer trustable and I had to escape, but when I did, I was lost in the woods, with wolves. Now, remember, I was about 12 at the time I had this dream, so to me, the meaning is obvious...

There are people that I rely on to raise me and keep me safe - parents, teachers, school; things I trust (like Batman) - but as I get older, I'm coming to learn that the world is more complicated, and as I was getting older, I was learning that people I trust might not always be counted on (they could be changed, by something as unexpected as a lightning bolt). I could escape from that paradigm, and rely on myself (jump out the window), but if I do that I'll be exposed to new and different dangers (surrounded by howling wolves).
Basically, I was getting older and becoming less dependent, and had to learn to take care of myself, but as I was still young, I knew it wouldn't be easy.
There, done, easy. And you know the best part? Even if this is entirely wrong, because I'm making all this stuff up anyway, at least it's an interpretation which I not only understand, but can identify with. I think there remains a distinct possibility that this is just like watching clouds or reading tea-leaves - it's completely random, and any semblance of order is coincidental. But, even if it is, exploring the way you feel about things is a good idea, and this way, you don't have to give some grifter any of your valuable money or time for the privilege - and you should never have to. After all, if dreams really are about emotional intelligence, growth, and emotional memory (as one hypothesis suggests), then dreams are entirely about feelings - and you shouldn't rely on someone else to tell you how you feel.

In fact... all of the dream dictionaries that I looked up for this had a preface or home-page with something to the effect of "these definitions may not fit the definition of your dream, you should find out what your dreams mean to you" - so I say, why use these dictionaries at all? If you must interpret your dreams, skip the middleman entirely! And no, this disclaimer doesn't let them off the hook. Clearly, they know these interpretations are nonsensical, and we shouldn't waste time with them.
Dreams about falling, being chased, losing your teeth and having sex are some of the most common dreams; so, do you know how you feel about falling, pursuit, teeth and sex? If not, ask yourself now, so that you'll know what those dreams mean TO YOU in the future...

I'm the Absurd Word Nerd, and until next time, don't let anyone else try to tell you what your hopes and dreams should be...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make suggestions, ask questions & comment . . .
I would love to read your words.