Sunday 22 September 2013

After Party

I think my liver hates me. The night before last I went to a mate's place for some heavy drinking, since I hadn't done it in a while and I was in the mood to socialize. Unfortunately after 55 shots of Wild Turkey Bourbon and Coke, my brain switched off and I don't know what happened. I woke up several hours later, facedown on a dirty mattress in a room with the door barricaded by a desk. I was the only one in the room, so I must have been the one that did it but I have no idea why, it was an off-putting experience to say the least. I don't usually get that drunk that fast, so all in all, it was a disappointing evening. Don't get me wrong, I had fun while it lasted, but I think that a night-out should be judged not only on the night itself, but on the quality of your experience afterward. The Word of the Day is: 'HANGOVER'
Hangover /'hangōvə/n. 1. Something left from a former state of affairs. 2. The after-effects of drinking too much alcohol, such as a headache or stomach disorder, usually felt several hours after cessation of drinking..
It's no secret that I'm fond of a drink or two, I once wrote an entire post while drunk just for the fun of it; and yet, I have only ever had a hangover once. That is to say, the headache, you can't avoid the after-effects like the slight numbness, butterfingers and unsteady legs, if you could do that then you wouldn't really be drunk at all. But even after getting black-out drunk last night, I didn't have a headache this morning. Do you want to know my secret?
Every time you go to pee, have a drink of water. Just a mouthful or two (I usually drink from the bathroom tap after washing my hands).
I don't understand why people get the hangover headache seeing as how it's so easy to avoid. Some people think it's just part of the experience, some even think that it's karma, a necessary evil of heavy drinking to remind us not to drink excessively. But I don't agree, I think that a good night out can, and in fact should, end with a good hangover.

Sure, when you're hungover you slow down, you feel all buttery and sometimes you just want to lie down and sleep all day. But if you can manage it, you should try to make the most of your hangover experience.

The first step is surveying the damage. Even if you remember everything, it's fun and interesting to wander around and check out what's become of the place after your revelry. Make sure everything is in one piece, including you; check out the number of empty bottles and clean up any mess. I find it helps to reminisce, piece by piece, as you look around the place.
Once that's done, I recommend a shower if you can. The worst part about going drinking is that you don't notice all the sweat, grime and dirt that accumulates on your person and you feel really gross in the morning, so it's important to clean that off if you want to enjoy yourself. You'll be a wibbly-wobbly mess, but at least you can feel clean and fresh.
Once you're clean, you're going to want breakfast. In my opinion, the most important part about breakfast is that you treat yourself. I like to cook and I find it relaxing, but this is not a morning for bacon and eggs. You've been bad and overindulged, so celebrate that and indulge yourself a little more. Go and buy yourself some cheap and unhealthy take-away food. No cafés or restaurants solitude aids in your hangover and the atmosphere is all wrong.
Something grilled that's been wrapped in paper and costs about ten bucks is what you need. If you're lucky, there will be an independent take-away shop near you, they're the best. I also love coffee, so I always stumble into a grocery store and buy a bottle of Iced Coffee, as strong as I can get it. Never buy weak bottled coffee; you need a strong, sharp taste to overcome the plasticky, preservative taste that's in all grocery store coffee. Also, it helps you to kickstart your brain after your night out.

I personally like to eat my take-away breakfast on a park bench or on a seat outside somewhere. The warmth of the sun is refreshing and it's nice to enjoy and appreciate the natural beauty of the world after spending a night diluting your reality. After breakfast, go for a walk.
I always drink at my mate's place, so I have to catch the train home and walk from the train station anyway, but I like the walk. So, if you drink at home I suggest you go for a walk anyway. It's more time to enjoy nature, but for me it also gets my muscles going, stretches out any kinks and I'm pretty sure it helps kick my guts into gear to process the toxins that are working their way through my liver. Either way, I like the walk, I use the time to think about last night and what's ahead for me in the day. I sometimes work on stories, either getting new ideas by processing the events of the previous night in a new light or just thinking about stories I'm already working on. If you're not a writer, then enjoy a little bit of introspection, after all your body isn't in the state to do anything too strenuous so enjoy a little time in your own head.

Finally, the last step is the best one: go home and relax. On some occasions I've come home and lied down in bed all day, but that's not the best use of your time. The best thing you can do is lie down and read a book, but I also like to watch videos online. I find that a good Let's Play is perfect for those moments of reflection and solitude, something to keep your mind occupied that's not too strenuous. Basically, relax and enjoy the simple things while you recuperate.

All in all a night out drinking can be a lot of fun, just don't ruin that good night with a bad day. A lot of the time the downsides of a hangover are self-inflicted. Overindulging, not taking care of yourself and letting the drink get the better of you. Don't fall prey to these simple mistakes and you too can enjoy your hangovers, like I do.

I'm the Absurd Word Nerd, and until next time, I'm going to need to restock the liquor cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make suggestions, ask questions & comment . . .
I would love to read your words.