Tuesday 2 January 2018

Closing the Book on 2017

Today is the New Year's Morrow - the Second of January, 2018. One of the many days in the coming year, but I'm not all that excited for it, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dreading it, but I don't really feel all that great. It's another year, another day. I seem to be percolating a nostalgic melancholy.
However, I do appreciate a good milestone, an opportunity to look at how far we've come, and maybe even have a glimpse at where we're going.
See, last month, I was wondering if I should even "do" a New Years post, since I don't always do them, and I don't even really have resolutions.
But then, I remembered my blog post for last year: New Year's Retribution.
I made a promise there, to write posts specifically against the horrible shit that happened in 2016. Now, I didn't actually plan to, since after that rant, I didn't have too much to say. However, I did respond to all three of the points I made.
In opposition to ISIS in 2016, and how religious bigotry had lead to meaningless murder and pain, I wrote a post about the folly of religion that I called Your God Does Not Exist.
In opposition to Racism in 2016, and how it was lending to xenophobia and hatred, I wrote a post about racism in horror, and how it is dying out in a post called Hatecraft.
In opposition to Trump in 2016, and how it lead to unrelenting stupidity and ignorance, I wrote a post about skepticism and how we can be smarter, called Skepticism 101.

However, this year wasn't so horrifying. It had its moments, but nothing like 2016, so whereas in 2017 I wanted retribution for the things the previous year had done to me . . . this year, I want to make reparations for the things I've done to myself in the year prior.
See, in looking back at the year, I've started to realize how often the things that disappoint me about my blog, are caused by me - or uncaused by me, as the case may be.

The GameBlog, that was a blogging event I promised almost five years ago, in Late Spring Cleaning, yet that's still scarcely even been attempted.
Duke Forever, has fallen drastically by the wayside. I have recontextualized it several different times, and at present moment, I feel as though I will barely finish Volume One.
I've even looked back on the posts in the past where I've promised upcoming posts . . . and absolutely failed to deliver.
And on a more personal level of my writing journey, I have not had very many of my stories published, even though that is a large goal of mine.

I keep doing this to myself, and I don't like it, since even though you, as my readers, are often either complacent enough, or not vocal enough to complain about these unfulfilled blogging/writing plans - I'm self-critical enough to feel the weight of those unfulfilled promises, nonetheless.

So, for this year, my goal is to rectify these mistakes:
  • I want to write my GameBlog, and publish it on this website
  • I want to try to bring Duke Forever towards some kind of conclusion
  • I want to have some of my longer writing Published.
Now, three seems to be the traditional number of goals I do for these things, but that's because these are my writing goals. I also have the goals of living healthier; getting a job; finding a girlfriend . . . and whilst all of these are fun, I don't think they are as relevant to you, since I don't really talk about that on the blog.

Ironically, getting Published is the easiest part, since I already have set those plans in motion, and I have some anthologies and magazines in mind, as well as stories to write for them. And if all of those plans fail, I have many fallback plans to get back on my feet.
I have high hopes for the GameBlog, but I know it will be quite difficult, as in previous attempts I experienced how hard it is to structure a branching story. But, I have a plot idea, so I have my fingers crossed.
But, the hardest of all will be Duke Forever. I have struggled with that story the most, because I've written it for so long that my writing abilities have exceeded what they were when I began to write it, so its hard to face that story once again. However, I don't like the idea of leaving it unfinished. I recognize that I will never write as much as I originally planned, but I want to bring the current volume to its conclusion. I owe that much to my readers but, moreso, I feel like I owe that much to the Duke. It's not the character's fault that I wrote him when I was younger and more prone to simple mistakes. And, even though it will require a lot of time on my part, and I'm not even sure how many people still enjoy my fanfiction blogserial . . . I still like the stories I have planned for Volume One.
The future stories? Later Volumes? They could be cannibalized into other stories I write. But, that's another story for another day. For now, if I can just finish this one volume, then I can be happy with it.

At least, that's what I tell myself . . .

Also, I liked my "at least one per month" writing goal, however, I have one simple, little goal in regards to blog-writing. I want to write more this year than I did last year. Sounds simple enough, let's see if I can pull it off.

I'm the Absurd Word Nerd, and it seems as though I've left some threads unsewn, some knots untied. I plan to rectify that, this year, starting by writing some short stories for upcoming anthologies. I'll let you know how that all pans out . . .
Until next time, what are your goals for the upcoming year, and do they have anything to do with your writing? Let me know in the comments section, and I hope you've had a Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make suggestions, ask questions & comment . . .
I would love to read your words.